World

Libya. Military movement is prohibited after occupying the Haftar border Khalifa Haftar News:


The announcement came after forces loyal to Khalifa Haftari announced that they had taken control of the border crossing with Algeria.

Libya’s Presidential Council has banned any military movement in the country without its approval after the commander of the deployed armed forces, Khalifa Haftar, announced that they had taken control of the border crossing with Algeria, declaring it a military zone.

“The commander-in-chief of the Libyan army is announcing the relocation of military units, regardless of the nature of their work, without the full ban of his prior approval,” the government said in a counterattack last April, according to a Twitter account on Saturday.

It is prohibited to “transport any columns of military significance or the transfer of personnel, weapons or ammunition,” the statement said.

If necessary, the “relocation or relocation” of military columns should take place only “with the approval of the Commander-in-Chief,” he added.

Earlier on Saturday, a large force loyal to Haftar announced that it was taking control of the Essen border crossing with Algeria, declaring the area a no-go zone.

The images posted online show dozens of armored vehicles stationed in the area around the crossing, which has been closed for several years due to the conflict in Libya.

The move came after Haftar issued a statement on Thursday announcing an operation in the area to “expel African mercenaries who threaten security and stability.”

This is the first military operation of its kind by Haftar’s self-proclaimed Libyan National Army since a ceasefire agreement was signed by the unity government late last year.

“Since the signing of the ceasefire agreement in October, Libya has seen relative peace, so this is a very strong move,” said Maliki Treyna of Al-Oli Azira, quoting Tripoli.

“It is the first time [since then] “Such a large-scale military mobilization has taken place,” he added.

Local sources in the southern region told Al aze Azira that the convoy, which arrived on Saturday, consisted of Tuareg fighters loyal to former strongman Muammar Gaddafi.

Libya is in turmoil after a 2011 NATO-backed uprising toppled Gaddafi. ,

In April 2019, Haftar և forces east of him, backed by Egypt and the United Arab Emirates, launched an offensive to try to seize Tripoli.

His 14-month campaign failed after Turkey stepped up its support for the Tripoli government with advanced military equipment, troops and thousands of mercenaries.

The October ceasefire led to the formation of a joint interim government that replaced the two rival administrations. It is instructed to unite the divided country, to lead it through the presidential-parliamentary elections that will take place on December 24.

There were concerns that Haftar’s latest move could “hamper the election and the peace process,” Traina said.

An international conference on Libya is scheduled for June 23 in Germany. The UN-sponsored event is aimed at “involving foreign actors in Berlin to discuss support for Libya’s new interim unity government.”





Source link

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button