Business

Wimbledon reduces the prize money for single winners


Wimbledon has reduced the amount of this year’s men’s and women’s singles prize winners as tennis continues to struggle with the coronavirus epidemic.

The 153-year-old All England Lawn Tennis & Croquet Club, a 153-year-old Wimbledon champion, announced on Wednesday that it had cut its total prize pool to միլիոն 35m, down 5.2% from 2019, when it was last held. tournament: ,

The lone players will compete for the first place prize – 1.7 million pounds, 28% lower than two years ago, when the winner was the first racket in the Serbian world Novak ok ocovic and the third in the Romanian world Simona Aleppo.

“As in previous years, ին this particularly difficult year for tourists, the focus of the distribution was on supporting players in the early stages of the tournament,” AELTC said.

The decision to impose the biggest cuts on unique players who have advanced to the advanced stages of the grassroots tournament also undermines the struggles of low-level players, who earn only a fraction of the winnings led by the best players, who also enjoy significant sponsorship revenue.

The failed Wimbledon Prize shows how the epidemic disrupts the world’s biggest sporting events by putting pressure on tournament organizers, teams and players, with governments usually only allowing the gradual return of mass rallies as health services continue to distribute vaccines to generals. : public

According to AELTC, prize money increases in the qualifying round of the singles, first to fourth rounds and quarterfinals. However, the share of semi-finalists will fall by more than a fifth to 930,000 pounds, and the runners-up in second place will have a similar decline.

While AELTC increases winnings for wheelchair singles, wheelchair doubles, mixed doubles players experience a significant decline.

AELTC said the mobility of the crowd was one factor in determining the level of prize money, although players were also spending “several million pounds” on accommodation this year.

However, the fans will return to this year’s championships. The Secretary of Culture of the United Kingdom, Oliver Dowden, said that the men’s and women’s finals will be fully open to fans at the 15,000-seat Central Court. The tournament, which starts on June 28, will start with 50% power and will increase with progress.

Tickets go on sale this Thursday. Fans must either prove a negative side-flow test or prove they have received two doses of the vaccine.

Prior to last year’s cancellation, Wimbledon, which first took place in 1877, was only occasionally suspended due to two world wars. Although the cancellation of the championship was a significant blow, AELTC was isolated because it had infectious disease insurance.

The competition, which is screened by the BBC in the UK և ESPN in the US, generates significant revenue from broadcast: ticket sales. AELTC revenue in 2019 amounted to 295.7 million pounds, but fell to 4.9 million pounds last year.



Source link

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button