Hong Kong activist Agnes Chou released on protest anniversary | Hong Kong Protest News:

The 24-year-old activist served for almost seven months in 2019 for his role in an unsanctioned rally during anti-government protests in the city.

Hong Kong pro-democracy activist Agnes Chou was released from prison on Saturday The second anniversary of the huge democratic rallies in the cityThe police are in force, and the protests are now prohibited.

Two thousand officers have been put on hold after social media urged residents to remember the failed demonstrations of democracy.

Authorities maintained the coronavirus ban on public gatherings, although only three local infections were reported in the city in the past month.

The Beijing National Security Act criminalized much of the dissent, and most of the city’s democracy was arrested, imprisoned, or fled abroad.

One of these figures was walking free from prison on Saturday morning.

Chao, 24, was picked up by the oncoming media but did not comment on his driving.

The supporters were shouting. “Agnes Chou adds oil,” a Cantonese-language expression of encouragement widely used in protests around the city.

Some supporters wore black T-shirts and yellow masks, and some wore yellow umbrellas. a symbol of the protests in the former British colony, which dates back to 2014,

Sweeping pressure

Chao hails a generation of activists who cut their teeth in politics as teenagers and became an inspiration to those who ran under Beijing’s increasingly authoritarian rule.

He spent about seven months behind bars for his role in the 2019 protest in front of the police headquarters. Associated young activists Osh Oshua Wong and Ivan Lam were convicted in the same case.

Chow is released at a critical moment.

Two years ago, on June 12, thousands of protesters surrounded the city legislature in an attempt to block the passage of a bill that could allow extradition to mainland China.

Police clear media for Agnes Chow’s car after he was released from prison in Hong Kong on Saturday [Isaac Lawrence/AFP]

To disperse the huge crowd, the rebel police used tear gas and rubber bullets.

The footage of the clashes deepened public outrage, intensifying a movement that became more and more violent, calling for full democracy, which raged for seven months.

The most serious challenge to Chinese power since handing over Hong Kong in 1997 was gathering huge crowds every week.

Beijing leaders have rejected calls for democracy, pointing to those who have protested as seducers of “foreign powers” trying to undermine China.

They have since overseen large-scale operations that have successfully curbed dissent and radically transformed the once overtly semi-automatic city.

The spear of that pressure was the law on national security.

Under the new law, more than 100 people have been arrested, including Chao, although he has not yet been charged.

Dozens more charges have been filed, including imprisoned pro-democracy media tycoon Jim Imi Lai.

Most of them were denied bail, and if found guilty, they are imprisoned for life.

Protests in Hong Kong have been extremely limited over the past year, but anniversary events have sought to focus attention.

On Friday, two activists of the Democratic Student Group were arrested on suspicion of advertising an unauthorized assembly.

Authorities last week banned the annual candlelight vigil in memory of the victims of the 1989 crackdown on Beijing’s Tiananmen Square.

However, many inside Hong Kong still showed silent contempt by turning on the cell phone lights and lighting a candle that evening.,

Source link

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button