The court will hold a virtual hearing on Thursday after groups voiced concerns about holding a football tournament in Brazil under COVID.
Brazilian Supreme Court agrees to hear two requests to block Copa America after several groups խմ individuals caused concerns about the South American nation hosting the international tournament against the background of the coronavirus epidemic.
Chief Justice Luis Fuchs said on Tuesday that, given the “exceptional nature of the case,” he had decided that the 11-member court would consider the issue in a special virtual hearing on Thursday.
The championships of 10 countries are scheduled to start on Sunday, July 10.
But some coaches, players, the Brazilian Senate staff, others have caused problems with the tournament, saying it could worsen Brazil’s already coronavirus և mortality rate.
More than 16.9 million cases have been reported in Brazil to date, with more than 474,000 deaths, the second highest in the world after the United States, according to the University of Hopkins.
Many The Brazilians blame the far-right president Air Bolsonaro, A COVID-19 skeptic who rejected health measures to prevent the spread of the virus due to the growing epidemic.
Senate committee in April has launched an investigation Bolsonaro’s handling of the coronavirus, including whether he acted too slowly և to provide the necessary vaccines for the coronavirus.
But the South American Football Confederation, CONMEBOL, confirmed Brazil as Colombia և Argentina were hosted as hosts last week as it happened ongoing unrest formerly և growing COVID-19 infections in the latter.
On June 6, Senate committee members urged organizers to postpone the tournament. They cited the low level of vaccines in Brazil, saying that more than 10 percent of the population had received the first dose of coronavirus vaccine as of Friday across the country.
“Brazil does not offer sanitary security for an international tournament of this magnitude. “Apart from conveying a false sense of security and normalcy, contrary to the reality that Brazilians live in, it will encourage people to settle down. It will be a bad example,” they said.
“We are not against Copa America in Brazil or anywhere else. But we believe that the tournament can wait until the country is ready to host it. “
On Monday, the executive director of the World Health Organization’s emergency medical program said he would advise any country holding mass rallies to be extremely careful about risk management.
“We would recommend that any group initiating such a mass gathering, especially in the context of community transfer, be extremely careful to ensure that risk is properly managed,” Ryan told reporters. “If the management of this risk cannot be guaranteed, then, of course, countries should reconsider their decisions to hold or conduct any mass gathering.”
The Supreme Court of Brazil has agreed to hear complaints from CNTM’s “opposition congressman Julio Delgado” and his Brazilian Socialist Party (PSB).
The union said the tournament “endangers an increase in COVID-19 infections and deaths,” the court said in a statement, agreeing to hear the case.
Delgado և FSB claims that hosting “violates the fundamental rights to life and health,” it said.
Several other appeals to block the tournament have also been filed in various courts, including another by Supreme Court President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva’s left-wing Labor Party (PT), which is emerging as a possible opponent of Bolsonaro in the presidency. elections next year.
Brazilian officials said the matches would be held without fans, with a mandatory COVID-19 test for teams every 48 hours, with restrictions on their movement and statutory flights for games in the four host cities.