World

DR Kongo spreads ‘siege’ in eastern violence Democratic Republic of the Congo news


Martial law has been extended for 15 days as rebel attacks continue in the area where the volcano erupted last month.

Politicians in the Democratic Republic of Congo on Thursday voted to extend martial law in the troubled east of the country by 15 days, a month after they replaced civilian authorities with military administrations in the northern states of Kivu and Itur.

Since the official end of the civil war in 2003, violence has been endemic in the mineral-rich eastern regions of CC, but insecurity has increased over the past two years.

On May 6, the government imposed a siege in an attempt to end the bloodshed. Violent attacks have continued since then, but Justice Minister Rose Mutombo said many militiamen had surrendered and the army had taken control of new territory.

“There is a lot to do, and the recent eruption of Nairagongo in the middle of the siege has forced the government to focus its efforts on fighting this natural disaster,” Mutombo said.

The eruption on May 22 hit lava rivers in the suburbs of Goma, killing at least 31 people and leaving և 20,000 homeless, according to the United Nations.

The state of siege also failed to prevent D. killing At least 55 people were killed by insurgents on Monday, possibly on the worst night of violence in four years.

Eleven gold miners were killed by a local group called the Congolese Patriotic Integration (FPIC) group in the gold-rich Dj Hugo area of ​​northeastern Itur province on Wednesday, Mungwalu district mayor Jean-Pierre Picilisende told AFP. ,

Pikilisende said the rebel fighters had come to take control of an area whose gold was mined by poor artisanal diggers.

Kivu Security Tracker (KST), a respected NGO that monitors violence in the eastern DRC, says 12 people have been executed.





Source link

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button