World

Qatar has released a Kenyan man accused of “spreading misinformation” Qatar News


Doha, Qatar “A Kenyan national arrested in Qatar last month.” is accused of “spreading misinformation.”, was released, but the charges against him were not dropped, according to human rights organizations.

Malcolm Bidali, 28, who works as a security guard for the GSS Certis in the capital Doha, was arrested on May 5 from his residence “investigated for violating Qatar security rules and regulations,” the Qatar Government Communications Office (GCO) said last month.

On May 30, the GCO said Bidali had been “formally charged with crimes related to the creation and dissemination of misinformation by a foreign agent in the territory of the State of Qatar.”

GSS Certis Qatari owner Salem al-Mohannadi told Al Jazeera that the 28-year-old had been released.

“He has been released but I have no other details,” al-Mohannadi told Al-Jazeera on Thursday. “Now this is a state affair. “We are completely behind our country. It is difficult to understand who is working against Qatar.”

Human rights groups expressed concern that his arrest could be revenge for his human rights work.

Blogging under the pseudonym Noah, Bidal wrote about labor rights issues, including long working hours, wages, working conditions, and inadequate housing and conditions in his workplace.

Earlier, Migrant-Rights.Org, where Bidali was blogging as a labor migrant in Qatar, said Bidali had been “released from custody but charged with the crime.”

The Qatari government declined to comment when Al-Azira contacted him.

It had previously said that Bidal was “receiving legal advice and representation before the court date, which has not yet been determined.”

In a post, Migrant-Rights.Org claims that “he did not receive legal advice until his release earlier this week.”

Last month, human rights groups, including Amnesty International, said in a statement that Bidali had told his mother by telephone on May 20 that he was being held in solitary confinement and had no lawyer.

The International Labor Organization (ILO) office in Doha said it was “paying close attention” to the case.

“The office is not in a position to comment on the allegations, but it is possible that Mr Bidal will be properly prosecuted,” the ILO said in a statement to Al Azira Azira last month.

“The International Confederation of Trade Unions has offered to support Mr. Bidali’s independent legal representation, and the ILO office will continue to monitor developments.”

A few days before his arrest, Bidal, who moved to Qatar in 2016, gave an online presentation to civil society groups on the situation of migrant workers in Qatar, sharing his experience working as a security guard there.

A suspicious link was sent to him via Twitter, which, according to some experts, was a fida attack to pursue Bidali. After that, the Twitter account is turned off.

Last month, Migrant-Rights.Org told Al Jazeera that the organization had contacted Bidali last year, “he wanted to help other workers who were in a state of disaster, especially during the epidemic.”

In a Twitter post, the organization says: It can be emphasized that no @ Noaharticulated blog post ություն initiative can be considered ‘misinformation’. “The content of his advocacy has always been subtle, multi-layered, the only purpose of improving conditions in Qatar is not to harm the country.”

Qatar’s attitude towards migrant workers պատմ The history of human rights has been in the spotlight since he was awarded the 2022 FIFA World Cup.

However, the country has made some work reforms in the run-up to the mega event in November հաջորդ December next year.

Qatar in August 2020 announced landmark changes labor legislation, including the elimination of the need for a revocation certificate. Earlier this year, a new law on the minimum wage was introduced.





Source link

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button